Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 13:40 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I wonder: did upstream developers start to worry when the number of bugs
> report they received *directly* started to decrease, due to Debian
> distributing their software?
Well but that's a different situation isn't it? I mean Debian typically
doesn't "duplicate" what upstream is doing, but in your example rather
serve as some intermediate layer for bugs, either directly solving them
(and then hopefully push that upstream) or simply forwarding the bugs.

With derivatives, it's not only that (don't know how much of the bugs
e.g. reported at Ubuntu are then forwarded to Debian, if they manage the
respective package themselves)... the really copy and make the same
work...

And I can't quite believe that this doesn't ultimately take users and
manpower away from Debian.

An example is that, especially stuff from the commercial- (or at least
non-open-source-) world seems to drop out Debian from their supported
major distros and replace it by *buntu (given that it must be "better"
for its "commercial support").... well at least in my experience.

> In fact, the resulting ecosystem probably
> brings *more* users and bug report to them than before, albeit now they
> are mediated. Looks like the same situation.
I wonder whether the majority of the Debian community sees it like
that... especially the Debian/*buntu relationship.

Guess I'll be in the minority, but I think all that is quite worrying
for Debian's long term future.

Cheers,
Chris.