Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> writes:

> When Debian takes software from upstreams, it's majorly a case of making
> a collection (of course with adaptions).

> When a derivative take Debian, it's - compared to single software - more
> like forking it.

Except it's not, because that's not what Ubuntu does.  Most of the
packages are imported into Ubuntu unmodified.  Among those that are
modified, most of the modifications are exactly the minor changes that
Debian makes to upstream, and Ubuntu folks are generally quite happy to
drop the patch when possible.

I've both been upstream for software packaged in Debian and the Debian
packager of software imported into Ubuntu, and the experiences are very
similar.

> In the case of *buntu... well to be honest I don't really see a reason
> unless someone wanted to create a company behind his distro, which
> wasn't possible with Debian.

Ubuntu has a much different release cycle, a different set of goals in
terms of what packages to focus on and what bugs have to be fixed, and a
different default desktop environment, all of which would be extremely
difficult to do in Debian directly, and would at least have involved a
vast amount of discussion.