Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:19:57 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > Suffix should be configurable.

Ack.

> > I use ~dfsg by default, ~dfsg1 and bumping numbers for multiple
> > repackagings, and only +dfsg when the repackaging happens after a
> > non-repackaged version was released into Debian.
> >
> > Reason for this is that there is a slight chance upstream may re-release
> > same upstream version repackaged to fix a purely tarball-related issuem
> > and I would then have room for using that proper version instead of
> > using epoch or add a bogus .0 to the version.
>
> This was also my initial idea when firt proposing ~dfsg.  On the other
> hand:  I would *really* want to have upstream adding a new version number
> to the cleaned up release.  It is just (uhmm, find your own word here)
> if people release the same named file with different content.  So I do
> not see great harm if we would settle with +dfsg.  Gregor, could you give
> better reasons than Jonas for +dfsg?

Well, I see Jonas' point but I haven't encountered it yet in my
experience; and often repackaging happens after detecticting that
it's needed, in which case +dfsg seems more logical.

> > >    use Debian::Copyright;
> > That initial test by Gregor makes me worry if Debian::Copyright parser
> > might be too strict: Writing should be strict but parsing relaxed -
> > Copyright file format with undefined fields added should *not* be
> > treated as broken. Perhaps there are other surprises waiting to happen
> > :-/

Yup, I was just the first that came to my mind.

> Could anybody say something about this?

Next guess:

Dpkg::Control::Hash - parse and manipulate a block of RFC822-like fields
(libdpkg-perl)

Let's try:

in d/copyright:

Files-Excluded: doc/a src/b