Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On 2012-08-08 14:38:44 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> "Normal" users do not need to know or care about these tools.

For some of them, they do. "Normal" users don't need most programs
installed in /usr/bin, so let's split this directory? :)

> Only admins use them, or tools that set things up on behalf of the
> user. Having them in the default path serves no purpose other than a
> minor convenience to a minority of users.

This is also true for most programs in /usr/bin.

> The number of times I've wished e.g. blkid was in my path is...
> zero. Having these immediately accessible to all users isn't
> strictly bad, but may cause confusion and just pollutes the
> namespace for tab completion etc.

Programs in /usr/bin also pollute the namespace for tab completion.

Anyway, if you don't like that, get a better shell. For instance,
some executables could be specifically ignored for tab completion
(possible until you use them for the first time).

Note: there are 3351 files in my /usr/bin, vs 354 for /usr/sbin
and 212 for /sbin, so that adding /usr/sbin and /sbin to $PATH
wouldn't change much. What would need to be improved is the
completion system, based on what the user really uses.