Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

On 2012-07-29 21:43:57 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> An ENABLE switch does more than just disabling the run-at-boot state of
> an initscript. While I can buy the argument that some packages should
> not start *at boot* by default,

The problem is not just at boot, but also when pacakges are installed
(first install or upgrade).

> I do believe that whenever an initscript is called with the argument
> "start", it should bloody well start, and not exit after doing
> nothing because I haven't edited some scarcely related file
> somewhere.

As long as scripts are allowed to execute init scripts directly with
"start" or "restart" (see rsync postinst script, for instance), this
must not be the case. Otherwise there would be no means to disable a
daemon (uninstalling the package would not be a satisfactory solution
because the client may still be useful, such as with rsync).