Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 03:26:29PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-07-23 07:23:40 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Now, if you just mean removing enable/disable switches for initscripts from
> > /etc/default/*, that should be doable with some effort.  And that's what
> > this subthread is about.
>
> No, I just mean that configuration of some service should be
> in a limited number of places. But if you agree that it's fine
> for /etc/default to override config setup somewhere else, then
> there should not be any problem with ENABLE/DISABLE.

That argument makes no sense.

Just because /etc/default is used in other broken ways, shouldn't mean
that this particular broken way is fine.

An ENABLE switch does more than just disabling the run-at-boot state of
an initscript. While I can buy the argument that some packages should
not start *at boot* by default, I do believe that whenever an initscript
is called with the argument "start", it should bloody well start, and
not exit after doing nothing because I haven't edited some scarcely
related file somewhere.

If installing initscripts in such a way that they're not started at boot
by default is not possible in Debian currently, then that's a bug that
we need to fix. But the right fix is *not* to ship initscripts which are
intentionally crippled at install time. That's just annoying.

the following formula:

pi zz a