Re: solving the network-manager-in-gnome problem

On 2012-07-22 16:40:48 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 01:50:58PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2012-07-22 11:43:14 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > ENABLE/DISABLE switches are *ugly*,
> >
> > I disagree. ENABLE/DISABLE switches have some advantages: they are
> > more readable than a set of symlinks,
>
> That's just an opinion (one which I don't share)
>
> > allow all the settings of some service to be grouped in a single
> > place,
>
> No. On the contrary.
>
> Services are currently configured in one or two places:
> - in /etc/rc*.d (whether they run or not)
> - in the service-specific configuration file (the behaviour of the
>   service)
>
> /etc/default is a third place, not a "one and only" place. Using it to
> specify things like command-line parameters is probably fine. Using it
> to *override* some other configuration is stupid.

No, if the user chooses to deal with /etc/default/<package> file
only (and not with update-rc.d), he will need to look at only
one or two places instead of two or three. And options set in
/etc/default/<package> may already override other configuration,
so that if you want to make things more consistent, you should
get rid of /etc/default entirely.

> > and can be managed more easily by VCS software.
>
> At least git supports symlinks just fine. Which VCS system are you using
> that doesn't? Sounds like you may just need to switch.

There are several problems. First the symlinks would need to be copied
to my own working copy. Now I could do that. Then Subversion won't
detect by itself files that have been added or removed. I need to tell
it explicitly, which is annoying, as this isn't done automatically.
But the main problem is the history. If there's only one file, I can
do, e.g. "svn log the_file". But if files (symlinks) are added or
removed, I can no longer get the log. Or I need to do that on the
parent directory, but I would also get the changes concerning the
other services, which is information I don't want.

> Additionally, personally I prefer using config management systems for
> that kind of thing.

I don't think they would do what I want, i.e. track config changes
on the system, either done by me or done automatically (more or less
what diffmon does, but diffmon cannot handle the rc*.d symlinks).