Re: RFC: Why are so many debian packages outdated?

Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Svante Signell wrote:

>> I have tried several times and I can give you a recent example, see
>> #610209 and especially #669368. I have tried to contribute, but to no
>> avail (at least in this case).

> While it's nice that you've prepared a package for the new mlocate
> upstream version, getting it done after the freeze is simply far too
> late.  Also, for packages that haven't been updated in a very long time
> (two years in this case), a much better bet for a productive exchange is
> to get it in front of -mentors instead of just the (possibly mia)
> maintainer.

In this case, the maintainer is definitely not MIA.  Prompted by this
thread, I looked over the open bugs (and took the liberty of tagging a
couple since I was looking them over anyway), and they seem fairly
well-triaged to me and most have a maintainer response.  The only issue
with the package that I see at the moment is that there's a Hurd issue
solved by an upstream release, and another upstream fix that might be
relevant to Debian.  (The other upstream fixes are pretty minor.)  There's
some other pending work, which is mostly minor.