Re: Have NetworkManager disabled by default when... (was: Recommends for metapackages)

+++ Andrei POPESCU [2012-07-18 20:56 +0300]:
> On Mi, 18 iul 12, 15:01:43, Adam Borowski wrote:
> >
> > A different idea would be to have NM configured by default to do what it can
> > do well (wifi) and stay away from all other interfaces, but because it has
> > thorough assumptions that it controls all of networking in the system, this
> > is not a change that could realistically be done during freeze.
>
> One of the reasons I'm using network-manager instead of wicd or even
> plain ifupdown is the possibility to switch (more or less) seamlessly
> between wired and wifi.

wicd does this just fine too. Tell it to autoconnect to wired and
selected wifi networks and it 'just works' (TM) for me. (wired at
work, wireless at home, in the normal case). I find both daemons give a
smooth experience for this usage (but wicd has the advantage of useful
curses and cli interfaces).

To answer another query on what happens if you have both installed: it
doesn't work well unless you disable one daemon or the other. If you
use the N-M control it can work OK, and wired may well work, but if
you use the wicd control N-M downs the wicd UPed wireless interfaces
every few seconds, the practical effect of which is no networking.

I don't think we should expect this to work, but I do remember it
taking me some time at a conference once to work out why on earth my
wireless networking wasn't working at all, depsite everything seeming
OK.

wicd is easy to disable as it has a ENABLE/DISABLE option in
/etc/defaults. N-M doesn't so you either have to remove it properly or
resort to nobbling the init script.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/