Re: Have NetworkManager disabled by default when... (was: Recommends for metapackages)

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:18:12PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-07-14 22:59:35 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > Due to those drawbacks, I've wondered why people don't just disable
> > NetworkManager on their system instead of bothering with workarounds
> > like the above or dpkg -P --force-depends and similar.
>
> Sorry for being late in the discussion. I also think that having
> NetworkManager disabled for those who do not want to use it is
> a good solution. But I think that if other network configuration
> packages (ifupdown, wicd) are already used when network-manager
> is being installed, NetworkManager should be disabled by default,
> or the choice should be given to the user after telling him what
> is currently used.

ifupdown is always used, at least in some form (extreme embedded aside).
wicd is used only on machines that use wifi, this excludes most desktops.

So I'm afraid such a check would be mostly useless.

A different idea would be to have NM configured by default to do what it can
do well (wifi) and stay away from all other interfaces, but because it has
thorough assumptions that it controls all of networking in the system, this
is not a change that could realistically be done during freeze.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income