Re: build-time testing of pure arch:all packages

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> I was thinking about a bit more automated way... ideally (in the long
> >> run) even that FTBFS (e.g. due to failed tests or some other arch
> >> specific quirks) would forbid automatic migration  to wheezy etc --
> >> kinda full blown benefits from the Debian infrastructure  without
> >> much of work from my side ;)

> You can do this in a not so nice way like this:

> 1) if you have no Architecture: any package then add a
> <package>-test-logs package.
> 2) build-arch depends on build-indep (i.e. always compile the arch:all
>    stuff)
> 3) in build-arch run the tests and include the log in the
>    Architecture:any package

> This adds a stupid dummy package to the archive that nobody but you need
> or fattens up an existing one with a logfile nobody but you need. That
> is the not so nice part. But it would do what you want now.

Thank you Goswin for detailing my evil non-archive-friendly option ;-)

> Note: Consider carefully if it wouldn't make more sense to help build a
> real automatic testing infrastructure (which could reuse idle
> buildd). How urgently do you need those tests to be run?

Thanks for asking -- there is no urgency per se.  One of the issues in
nibabel was triggered by nipy build (failure is still there [1]) so we
exercised it and upstream has it already fixed (release/upload will
follow shortly).   But my email came out of wondering how many of other
arch:all packages we have in the archive without such a build-time
QA, thus possibly broken on exotic ports.

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=nipy

> > archive-wide rebuilds of arch:all packages as we routinely do rebuilds
> > of arch:any packages.
> > (Cc:-ing Lucas, for his great work on QA rebuilds.)
> Are archive wide rebuilds done on anythiong but i386/amd64?

IMHO if archive-wide rebuild could be carried on at least one
representative big-endian architecture (e.g. sparc) -- it might already
be quite useful.

Do we also have some time share on one of the top3 HPC boxes [2] +
Lucas#2 to take care about it?  ;-)

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences