Re: build-time testing of pure arch:all packages

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:29:48AM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>> I was thinking about a bit more automated way... ideally (in the long
>> run) even that FTBFS (e.g. due to failed tests or some other arch
>> specific quirks) would forbid automatic migration  to wheezy etc --
>> kinda full blown benefits from the Debian infrastructure  without
>> much of work from my side ;)

You can do this in a not so nice way like this:

1) if you have no Architecture: any package then add a
<package>-test-logs package.
2) build-arch depends on build-indep (i.e. always compile the arch:all
   stuff)
3) in build-arch run the tests and include the log in the
   Architecture:any package

This adds a stupid dummy package to the archive that nobody but you need
or fattens up an existing one with a logfile nobody but you need. That
is the not so nice part. But it would do what you want now.

Note: Consider carefully if it wouldn't make more sense to help build a
real automatic testing infrastructure (which could reuse idle
buildd). How urgently do you need those tests to be run?

> Did you check if the QA rebuilds try to, or could be asked to, build
> arch:all packages? If so, it'd be a good start to routinely do
> archive-wide rebuilds of arch:all packages as we routinely do rebuilds
> of arch:any packages.
>
> (Cc:-ing Lucas, for his great work on QA rebuilds.)

Are archive wide rebuilds done on anythiong but i386/amd64?

MfG
        Goswin