Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

On 22.06.2012 15:31, Roger Leigh wrote:
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:32:15PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 06/22/2012 05:34 PM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Step 1: upgrade/dist-upgrade with ia32-libs (wine, ...) held back
> Step 2: dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update
> Step 3: dist-upgrade (ia32-libs, wine, ... is now installable)
[...]
I know we have release notes, but some don't know about them or would
simply not read them. A debconf message seem really appropriate IMO.

Could we not introduce the concept of an "upgrade script" into
apt-get which could be downloaded when you run "apt-get update" and
then run during a dist-upgrade?  This could handle automation of
any "housekeeping" during the upgrade which would otherwise require
manual work detailed in the release notes.

As a theoretical future enhancement, possibly. That won't help for squeeze to wheezy upgrades though, as squeeze's apt would need to include support for it.

Regards,

Adam