Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> ]] Russ Allbery

>> If I were to pick between the enhancements to Debian in this area, none
>> of which I have time to work on and therefore can't vote on via
>> implementation, I'd be way more interested in avoiding the entire
>> source package upload process entirely and be able to just push signed
>> Git tags to a trusted host that stores Git repositories for our
>> packages.  Even if those repositories were only accessible to Debian
>> maintainers because they're not license-reviewed.

> As always, it's easier to add another abstraction layer and so generate
> the (somewhat pointless) source package and upload that, rather than
> modifying dak (and/or buildd) to handle two kinds of sources and source
> tools.

> I do agree it'd be better if we could just get rid of source packages,
> but we're far from there yet, sadly.

Oh, sure.  And I'd be fine with that.  I just really like the idea of
having everything about the package build automated, including generation
of the source package, so that we no longer have problems where the
maintainer does something weird on their local system.  I'm fine with it
being optional for those who want to use it, but I'd like to use it.  One
would test the build locally and then just push the tag, and the whole
process would be reproduced in our infrastructure with a known
configuration and we'd identify problems much faster.

It would also mean that any Debian maintainer could easily clone the
canonical source for a package that's using Git and that infrastructure,
which we sort of have with debcheckout but a bit awkwardly, and NMUs could
always be pushed to the same place, with the security handled via regular
upload rights checking instead of the more ad hoc git.debian.org
permission approach.

It feels like the sort of direction in which software development is
moving, and it feels like embracing our tools in ways that we're not yet
doing.