Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:33:34PM +0200, Bálint Réczey wrote:
> 2012/5/14, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>:
> > Do we actually have an official debootstrap package for foreign systems?
> > We could ship a static busybox with it and solve this and other issues.
> > (I know, not all the world is a VAX, etc... But we cannot solve *every*
> > problem.)
> >
> > If the problem is "foreign systems without xz" then we will never be
> > able to use XZ for base.
> How about switching to xz in the standard installer and providing an
> alternate installer with recompressed packages using gzip/bz2?
>
> This would allow us to support most systems and save on bandwidth/mirror space.

Bad idea, I'm afraid.  Apt really dislikes seeing two packages with the same
version but a different file size and checksum.  You'd have to make sure
that alternate installer never mixes its sources with regular packages.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon