Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Adam Borowski wrote:
> Except that busybox has xz support, and is loaded from an udeb way before
> any regular debs are seen.  Ie, there is no reason to stop "core packages"
> from using decent compression.

Yes there is. busybox is used on a variety of systems, which are
unlikely to have xz installed. The small benefit of better compressing
base does not justify narrowing the set of systems on which busybox can
be used.

> There's no reason to keep it to amd64/i386 as well -- in fact, it's i386
> which is most likely to use unassisted install with extremely low memory.
> I'm not aware of armel/mips boxes with 64MB ram that load d-i themselves.

Many arm systems have 64 mb of ram or less.

--
see shy jo