Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Le Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:33:22PM +0100, Andrew M.A. Cater a écrit :
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 11:30:12PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On May 12, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> >
> > > Thus, let's just switch dpkg-deb's default to xz.  Lowering bandwidth usage
> > > is worth the extra build time cost.
> > Agreed, this looks like a good idea.
> >
> > --
> > ciao,
> > Marco
>
> The only problem with xz as a default: I can currently unpack a .deb on any Unix system which has ar - and I did, no more than a week ago,
> in order to find Debian documentation and licences to pass to "legal people". xz might, potentially, cause more problems.

Dear Andrew,

for more than 6,500 source packages, you will find everything you need in the
Git repository indicated by the package tracking system.  A few more packages
have their full source managed in other VCSes that are also indicated at the
same place.  Otherwise, the Debian copyright file is available separately for
all the packages through packages.debian.org, and it is rare that the upstream
source is available only in xz-compressed format.  I hope it helps to mitigate
the potential problem.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy