Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 09:49:19PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 21:35:16 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
>
> > That's why busybox includes xz :)
> >
> Not all relevant busybox builds do, which is the point.

Could you please mention which ones do not?  And if so, how are they
relevant/are they fixable?

Because as long as xz debs are opt-in, no significant part of the archive
will be compressed well, breaking one-CD installs and putting a good deal of
unnecessary strain on mirrors.  And we're talking about whooping 1/3 of CD1
being waste.

Special-casing base packages would be a lot of complexity, let's avoid that
if possible -- but still preferred to letting gzip stay.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon