Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 03:09:42PM -0400, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:

> It has been said many times that the impact on users will be limited
> as node is not meant to be called directly but by inetd. You and other
> members of the ham radio community seem to feel that there would be an
> impact on its users. Perhaps pointing to some specific use cases that
> will be impacted would help the rest of us understand the issues your
> user would face?
>
> Apologies if you've covered this elsewhere (I've read this thread but
> not all of the past ones).
>

>From the linux-hams list:

"From my experience, many MANY Linux hams have customized scripts that
startup some very elaborate HAM systems.  For many, these scripts
weren't written by them and the changing of the node command could be
very difficult for some.  The other aspect is if this change came into
a package update that could impact production systems in VERY remote
sites.  This could cause all kinds ugliness that can be easily
avoided."

>From the ax25-HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x1688.html):

"The node would normally be invoked from the ax25d program although it
is also capable of being invoked from the TCP/IP inetd program to allow
users to telnet to your machine and obtain access to it, or by running
it from the command line."

In practice, node is called from inetd, ax25d, scripts, and from the command
line directly depending on the need and circumstance.

I have stated elsewhere in the threads, there can be significant challenges
to physically access the ham radio machines if the transition breaks the
system.  If the ham radio node has to change, the change must be bulletproof
to the greatest extent possible.  A failed upgrade may deprive a region
of emergency communications capability until the problem is resolved.

<editorial>
Ironically one of the reasons many hams looked to Debian was the stability
of the system and the ability to upgrade in place.  Changing a core ham
radio component throws those reasons out the window.
</editorial>

Pat