Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 03:34:59PM -0400, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 03:09:42PM -0400, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
> >
> > It has been said many times that the impact on users will be limited
> > as node is not meant to be called directly but by inetd. You and other
> > members of the ham radio community seem to feel that there would be an
> > impact on its users. Perhaps pointing to some specific use cases that
> > will be impacted would help the rest of us understand the issues your
> > user would face?
> >
> > Apologies if you've covered this elsewhere (I've read this thread but
> > not all of the past ones).
> >

> >From the linux-hams list:
>
> "From my experience, many MANY Linux hams have customized scripts that
> startup some very elaborate HAM systems.  For many, these scripts
> weren't written by them and the changing of the node command could be
> very difficult for some.  The other aspect is if this change came into
> a package update that could impact production systems in VERY remote
> sites.  This could cause all kinds ugliness that can be easily
> avoided."
>

> >From the ax25-HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x1688.html):
>
> "The node would normally be invoked from the ax25d program although it
> is also capable of being invoked from the TCP/IP inetd program to allow
> users to telnet to your machine and obtain access to it, or by running
> it from the command line."
>

> In practice, node is called from inetd, ax25d, scripts, and from the command
> line directly depending on the need and circumstance.
>

> I have stated elsewhere in the threads, there can be significant challenges
> to physically access the ham radio machines if the transition breaks the
> system.  If the ham radio node has to change, the change must be bulletproof
> to the greatest extent possible.  A failed upgrade may deprive a region
> of emergency communications capability until the problem is resolved.
>
> <editorial>
> Ironically one of the reasons many hams looked to Debian was the stability
> of the system and the ability to upgrade in place.  Changing a core ham
> radio component throws those reasons out the window.
> </editorial>

So...  A (admittedly expensive) pre-inst script that checks the system
for calls to /usr/sbin/node outside of Debian packages would likely do
the trick?

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //