Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 09:21:16PM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 21:21:16 +0100
> From: Colin Tuckley <colint@debian.org>
> Subject:  Re: Node.js and it's future in debian
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
>
> On 03/05/12 20:44, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
>
> > With all due respect, you can make the same argument for the Node.js
> > package to do this.  Node.js is not currently in the stable distribution
> > while node is (apparently this does not have any bearing on the discussion).
>
> node might be in stable but it has less than 100 installs of which about
> *20* are currently shown as "vote" meaning they are active.

Popcorn requires a connection to the internet to get statistics.  If the
machine is not normally connected to the internet, the stats are not reported.

> What you are also ignoring here is that AX25 packet is pretty much dead
> in Ham radio.

No, I am not ignoring the ax25 packet status in ham radio.  When I posted to
linux-hams I received a rapid response.  There has been a consistent trickle
of kernel source patches for ax25 also.

Like all things ham radio, there is a significant difference in the number
of people who participate in ax25 / packet depending on the area you
are in.  APRS is fairly common in the metropolitan areas of the USA.  APRS
uses UI ax25 frames.  It is not infrequent to find the same location running
a APRS digipeater and a PBBS.  There is a coordinated effort in the state of
Virginia to use ax25 as a part of the disaster communications plan
(http://www.vden.org/).

Pat NE4PO