Re: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 03:32:23PM +0100, Arno Töll wrote:
> I noted. That said, people still take debian.net domains in general
> and mentors.d.n in particular as an example how people (ab-)use Debian
> trademarks among different non-affiliated projects despite of being
> entirely orthogonal target audiences between, say, mentors.debian.net
> on one edge and debian-multimedia on the other.

I think it is mainly me who mentioned trademarks in connection with
debian-foo services, following up Ben's lead. I believe I made a clear
distinction among the *.debian.net and the debian-* case, mentioning
potential trademark (ab)use only in connection with the second case. In
case the distinction was not clear enough, my apologies, it was meant to
be *very* clear.

I believe trademark (ab)use, and possibly enforcement, should have
nothing to do with usage of the debian.net namespace, ever. I see
nothing wrong with cases like mentors.debian.net and I'm sure we will
all agree on that. Even more: mentors.debian.net it's a perfect example
of how to offer an important service to the Debian community, even
during the interim between its creation and its migration to the
official debian.org infrastructure.