Re: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:40 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> What we need, though, is probably to make it more clear to our users
> what is the difference among *.debian.net and *.debian.org services. It
> is something that developers know by folklore, but that I seriously
> doubt most of our users know. For me, the most appropriate way to do is
> to put a splash page at www.debian.net explaining that. If DSA agrees
> with that approach, I'm sure we can easily come up with a suitable
> splash text.

How about one of those banners at the top of the screen? Like when you
visit Google and it asks you if you want to make your home page point
to Google. Something like "This is an unofficial Debian resource. Read
more...". Clicking "Read more" would take the user to a page that
explains what debian.net is and things like that. The banner could be
dismissed (perhaps with cookies to remember the setting). This should
be simple to implement with Javascript and CSS, and it should be
trivial to use in the *.debian.net pages.

I believe people don't go to http://www.debian.net/ often, as it
redirects to http://www.debian.org/. If we come up with a splash for
debian.net, people that visit mentors.debian.net, for example, will
not see it.

Regards,