Re: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 09:49:18PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 08:51 PM, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> >> But I've seen multiple instances of this issue over the years, on both
> >> desktop and server side.
> >>
> > You added debian-multimedia in a server system? If i were you i would start by
> > blaming myself for the problems.
> >
> Not me, my customer, and because they needed codecs to encode,
> which wasn't available in Debian.

In other words, if not for Christian Marillat's work, your customer would
either be unable to do this on Debian, or, assuming enough technical
knowledge, have to beat upstream packages into working.

Which shows that this service is valuable after all, even if it has some
kinks.  Which kinks mostly boil down to s/lenny/squeeze/ on d-m.o sources
when you're doing s/lenny/squeeze/ on the rest -- a reasonable thing to do
during upgrade.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple