Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 12:00:01AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 10:52:33AM +0400, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> Yes, a user can do anything with ifconfig if his time has no value.  I am
> happily using network manager on my laptop, because unlike ifconfig it's
> easy to configure for use on new wireless networks.

Well, actually configuring a wireless network with wpa_supplicant and
ifupdown is not hard at all and does not require too much time, _if_ a
user has developed a good habbit of reading documentation first.

It is also preferable in that sense that you configure it once and it
works for years, surviving upgrades, etc. So in the end you conserve
your time, and not loose your time.

There is also a basic GUI if one needs it (wpa_gui).

> I am not happy that network manager bypasses ifconfig to do this; I
> would have much preferred a daemon that could properly integrate with
> the existing infrastructure we had.

Exactly. There is ifplugd that implements some of the functionality
that is required to support dynamically appearing and disappearing
connections. It is a simple daemon that calls ifupdown when needed, so
that the old and good way of network configuration is respected.

But ifplugd needs some love, because it was mostly intended to be used
with ethernet cable connections (I managed to use it also with dynamic
tap interfaces, though).

--
Stanislav