Re: Flaming as a way to reach technical quality? No! (was: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy))

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:28:42PM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I have read all e-mails in this thread, and what constructive criticism
> you may have given is buried under uncompromising prejudice. For
> example:
>
> > If you mean the ifupdown-based configuration, then I cannot agree that
> > it is "really disastrous" (I would agree that the network-manager
> > approach is really disastrous, however) as at least in my cases (which
> > are not so trivial) ifupdown works okay (and if not then at least I
> > would know ways how to workaround problems).
>
> You say Network Manager is disastrous, when it manifestly works quite
> well for quite a number of people. It is hard to take you seriously,
> when you say things that are so clearly wrong.

Be it clearly wrong or not, I strongly disbelieve that a tool with a
hard-wired logic such a network-manager may seem a reasonable
replacement for such a configurable tool as ifupdown. These two tools
have been designed with absolutely different goals in mind. And I
think it is quite clear that even with the current limitations of
ifupdown (some were mentioned in this thread) its intended use case is
wider than the use case of network-manager.

--
Stanislav