Re: Flaming as a way to reach technical quality? No! (was: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy))

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 09:59:43PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > There needs to be a simple tool with few dependencies and there needs
> > to be a complex solution with all the power that some users need. One
> > tool does not suit all here. It's not just about daemon vs GUI frontend
> > or whether to use DBus or Python - it's about having two or more tools
> > which work together instead of one simple tool which gets side-stepped
> > by a more complex tool because of a poor design.
>
> It does seem likely that there won't be one tool that satisfies all
> requirements.  The current situation of giving users the choice of ifupdown,
> NetworkManager, wicd, and probably other things seems good.
[...]

We should be able to say 'for these sorts of configurations, X is probably
best, but for those, Y is better.'  (I suspect that no single X could be
recommended for all configurations.)  Giving users 5 choices and no
guidance would be unhelpful.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings