Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:50:36PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 04:42:11PM +0400, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> > I understand that you are in a position that forces you to think about
> > public relations and such, but if I were a DD I would be more happy if
> > DPL was a bit more focused on real problems.
>
> Non sequitur: the fact that I'm participating into this sub-thread does
> not imply I'm not focusing on (other) "real problems".

Then it means that my and your understanding of which problems are
real and which are not differs very much, as, for instance, I would
not advise users to refrain from expressing their opinions on various
"technical suggestions" on d-d list just in a fear of flood.

> > I manage packages in Debian. If you want me to stop doing that please
> > exress it more clearly.
>
> Non sequitur again: I've said nothing about the packages you're
> managing.

You stressed too much on my role as a mere user, that is why I brought
this point to your attention. I thought it was obvious from the context.

> You're right when you say -devel is not moderated, but that also
> gives the liberty to all the list participants, including myself, to
> comment when they see usage patterns that they do not think will
> further the goals of the list.

Of course. Nobody even tried to take this liberty away from you or to
disrespect it.

> And I'm sorry, but when I read comments like "if you do $foo I'll
> stop using Debian", I can't help thinking (and sometime commenting)
> that those comments are not helping pursuing a technical discussion.

Analogously, when I see such "great" technical suggestions as
replacing ifupdown on default installs with network-manager, I can't
help thinking (and sometimes commenting) that if this trend continues,
then at some point in future I may face a painful decision to abandon
the distribution that I continuously used for more than a decade and
to which I contributed.

PS: And there was a technical part in that my post you replied first.
You just skipped it.

--
Stanislav