Re: Lintian ERROR saying dpatch is obsolete

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:08:39AM +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> [2011-11-29 10:04]:
>
> (...)
>
> (...)

> > > Care to explain how conditional per-target-distribution patches should
> > > be bushed upstream? Think of patches requried for debian/sid,
> > > debian/squeeze-backports, ubuntu/Oneric Ocelot and ubuntu/Lucid Lynx
> > > when it comes to build dependencies.
> >
> > Those belong in a version control system, not in a single source
> > package, which is only targetted at a single distribution.  Such
> > things can be done very easily on per-distribution branches, e.g.:
> >
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=heads
> >
> > Such changes would typically only affect the Debian packaging and
> > not require upstreaming, but even if they did per-distribution
> > branches would still be the way to go.
>
> So the suggested solution is to put the data into an SCM somwhere
> outside the package (LP, git.d.o, $somewhereelse) instead of into the
> package where anyone wanting to deal with the packages is guarantied to
> find it (no downtime, no network required...).
> Doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Everything Gergely said.

There's no need for the version you upload to unstable to have any
support for backports, ubuntu etc.  It's a version specific for
unstable.  If you want to support multiple versions, do it outside
of the source package.  It also makes things much simpler and
clearer.

This is how I prepare a schroot backport:
git checkout squeeze-backport
git merge schroot-1.4 [or specific release tag e.g. debian/schroot-1.4.21-1]
dch ...
git commit debian/changelog

The backport-specific build-dep changes are made on the backport
branch, branched from the schroot-1.4 branch when the backport
was first made.  As I make new backports for new stable releases,
the maintenance effort is nothing more than merging the new
release and updating the changelog.  The debian packaging needs
no extra complexity to deal with this--it's all taken care of
by the version control.  Doing such things directly in the
source package is just wrong.

Regards,
Roger

--