Re: Lintian ERROR saying dpatch is obsolete

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:56:45AM +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> [2011-11-29 03:33]:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > >  - Custom patch commands, as already discussed.  Yes, we should get rid of
> > >   them, but that doesn't make it easy to convert them.
> > >
> > >  - Conditional application of patches.  Some packages have patches that are
> > >   only applied on a per-architecture or per-target-distribution basis.
> > >
> > >  - Patches that don't unapply cleanly after build can be dealt with via
> > >   'rm -rf' with a custom patch system, but must be made to unapply cleanly
> > >   with v3 (quilt).
> >
> > All of these can be dealt with by rewriting the patch so that it is
> > acceptable to upstream and applied and released by them.
>
> Care to explain how conditional per-target-distribution patches should
> be bushed upstream? Think of patches requried for debian/sid,
> debian/squeeze-backports, ubuntu/Oneric Ocelot and ubuntu/Lucid Lynx
> when it comes to build dependencies.

Those belong in a version control system, not in a single source
package, which is only targetted at a single distribution.  Such
things can be done very easily on per-distribution branches, e.g.:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=heads

Such changes would typically only affect the Debian packaging and
not require upstreaming, but even if they did per-distribution
branches would still be the way to go.

Regards,
Roger

--