Re: Lintian ERROR saying dpatch is obsolete

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> >  - Custom patch commands, as already discussed.  Yes, we should get rid of
> >    them, but that doesn't make it easy to convert them.
>
> echo skip-patches >>debian/source/options
>
> And then in a pre-build target, do the scripting magic, and call dh $@
> --with quilt or something similar, and in clean, do the reverse.
>
> It needs minimal work, but it's - in my opinion - trivial
> nevertheless. Less trivial than turning a 00list into series and living
> happily ever after, but still trivial.

Huh no, debian/source/options only affects the build of a source package,
not its unpacking.

And with custom patch commands, people do stuff different from applying
patches in fact... some people mentionned moving or renaming files.

IMO the proper fix in those cases is to integrate all this custom code
directly in debian/rules.

> >  - Conditional application of patches.  Some packages have patches that are
> >    only applied on a per-architecture or per-target-distribution basis.
>
> This, indeed, is not trivial to do with 3.0 (quilt). I see this as a 3.0
> (quilt) feature, though. But perhaps just my opinion.

We do have per-distribution patches series but not per target-distribution
and not per architecture.

It's always possible to apply supplementary patches at build-time but I
agree it's best to create patches that embed whatever conditional is
required (when possible).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer