Re: Lintian ERROR saying dpatch is obsolete

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 06:44:04PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Besides it would be great that everyone uploading has a big reminder to
> switch away from dpatch. Switching to v3 quilt should be easy.

There are several features of dpatch that can't be trivially migrated to v3
quilt.

 - Custom patch commands, as already discussed.  Yes, we should get rid of
   them, but that doesn't make it easy to convert them.

 - Conditional application of patches.  Some packages have patches that are
   only applied on a per-architecture or per-target-distribution basis.

 - Patches that don't unapply cleanly after build can be dealt with via
   'rm -rf' with a custom patch system, but must be made to unapply cleanly
   with v3 (quilt).

It's still probably worthwhile to push towards v3 as a standard for source
packages, but let's not ignore that there are some real challenges along the
way.