Re: Lintian ERROR saying dpatch is obsolete

* Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> [2011-11-29 03:33]:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> >  - Custom patch commands, as already discussed.  Yes, we should get rid of
> >   them, but that doesn't make it easy to convert them.
> >
> >  - Conditional application of patches.  Some packages have patches that are
> >   only applied on a per-architecture or per-target-distribution basis.
> >
> >  - Patches that don't unapply cleanly after build can be dealt with via
> >   'rm -rf' with a custom patch system, but must be made to unapply cleanly
> >   with v3 (quilt).
>
> All of these can be dealt with by rewriting the patch so that it is
> acceptable to upstream and applied and released by them.

Care to explain how conditional per-target-distribution patches should
be bushed upstream? Think of patches requried for debian/sid,
debian/squeeze-backports, ubuntu/Oneric Ocelot and ubuntu/Lucid Lynx
when it comes to build dependencies.

Thanks,
Martin