Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Aneurin Price wrote:
> I think this discussion needs a sanity check.
>
> Please remember, the topic of conversation is whether an application
> can reasonably make the assumption that the system defined tmp
> directory is a suitable place to store temporary data.

/tmp in RAM has been extremely common on Solaris for more than 10 years
(/tmp in RAM is the default there).  I recall every SuperSPARC and
UltraSPARC box at Uni had this configuration.

IMO, it is a very clearly cut case: applications cannot reasonably make any
assumption about /tmp for any non-trivial usage, and they are to use $TMPDIR
to locate the system tmp directory in the first place if they want to use
it.

This is NOT a Debian thing.  It is not even a new requirement, it is so old
that TMPDIR has already made it into POSIX/SuS...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMPDIR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs

  Henrique Holschuh