Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

Le dimanche 13 novembre 2011 à 23:20 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES a écrit :
> No it does not work like you said. We know the matrix structure, not
> the kernel. We map and unmap manually. Doing as you said is
> inneficient and trash a lot cache and so on.

This is getting insane. Please learn how to use madvise and
posix_fadvise and let the kernel deal with paging. The kernel knows
everything about the underlying hardware; the application does not.

> Memory is used as a cache. This is not broken. This a valid use.

By paging the data manually to the disk, the only thing you are
achieving is duplicating it at the time of reading/writing. Please learn
how to use memory pages and stop telling people you know better when it
is obvious you don’t know what you are talking about.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :