Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

Hello,

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:14:18 +0100
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> > No it does not work like you said. We know the matrix structure, not
> > the kernel. We map and unmap manually. Doing as you said is
> > inneficient and trash a lot cache and so on.

> This is getting insane. Please learn how to use madvise and
> posix_fadvise and let the kernel deal with paging. The kernel knows
> everything about the underlying hardware; the application does not.

And what about the software being cross-platform? What about other
systems which don't have such system calls? Also, the application
doesn't need to know anything about the hardware except that disk
memory is usually larger and slower than RAM is.

--
WBR, Andrew