Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:34:03 +0000, Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this discussion needs a sanity check.
>
> Please remember, the topic of conversation is whether an application
> can reasonably make the assumption that the system defined tmp
> directory is a suitable place to store temporary data.

Absolutely, although at the other extreme we seem to have people
demanding that they should be able to make very specific assumptions
about what form that storage will take for all future time and how much
of their data they should be able to put on it, without needing to do
tiresome things like check first, or even checking whether it worked
afterwards.

Of course we cannot please _all_ our users with our defaults, but if
this niche software is really rendered useless by having /tmp on tmpfs
then surely it should check for that case, and then if necessary,
suggest one of the several possible solutions to the user.

Cheers, Phil.