Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 01:09:31AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 21:21 +0000, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > It's not a GNU invention; I believe it derives from BSD.
>
> I stand corrected. That doesn’t make it have any more sense, though.
>
> > Apparently it's for executables that don't belong in the path (rarely
> > used from interactive shells or scripts).
>
> We already have $pkglibdir and $pkgdatadir for those.

Those serve a different purpose.  There's also a $pkglibexecdir,
which is explicitly for that purpose.

It's very odd that as an upstream (where Debian is the upstream!),
I'm using $pkglibexecdir and then have to make it the same as
$pkglibdir for no good reason.  I would typically be using
$pkglibdir for loadable modules and the like, rather than
executables.  libexecdir is a good place for executables called
by programs rather than by users.  I'd like to be able to make
use of it.

Regards,
Roger

--