Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:46:20PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 21:00 +0100, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen a
> écrit :
> > So, being halfway serious: Debian wants FHS to document it before we can
> > use it, and the FHS wants to document current practice. Clearly, we need
> > someone in the Fedora project to start using /usr/libexec first. :)
>
> I don’t think Debian requests FHS to document something before we can
> use it. The real problem with the bizarre GNU invention that
> is /usr/libexec is that nobody knows what it is here for.

It's not a GNU invention; I believe it derives from BSD.  On a real
FreeBSD system (not the Debian mash-up) it contains:

atrun			lint1			rpc.rusersd
bootpd			lint2			rpc.rwalld
bootpgw			locate.bigram		rpc.sprayd
catman.local		locate.code		rshd
cc1			locate.concatdb		save-entropy
cc1obj			locate.mklocatedb	sendmail
cc1plus			locate.updatedb		sftp-server
comsat			lpr			sm.bin
fingerd			mail.local		smrsh
ftpd			make_index		ssh-keysign
getty			makewhatis.local	ssh-pkcs11-helper
hprop			mknetid			tcpd
hpropd			ntalkd			telnetd
ipropd-master		phttpget		tftp-proxy
ipropd-slave		pppoed			tftpd
kadmind			rbootd			vfontedpr
kcm			revnetgroup		yppwupdate
kdc			rlogind			ypxfr
kpasswdd		rpc.rquotad
ld-elf.so.1		rpc.rstatd

Very little of that is related to GNU.  Apparently it's for executables
that don't belong in the path (rarely used from interactive shells or
scripts).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings