Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> This is not about outside mail, it's about local mail that originates
> from the system itself, cron jobs and so on.

> And I seriously hope no one proposes to remove cron.

I think it's pretty obvious that we need some way of notifying people
about cron errors other than email.  Not only are there lots of problems
with figuring out how to get email to the local user of the box, but
increasingly new computer users aren't using email at all, or at least
very intermittantly, and are instead using other things (IM, social media,
etc.).  Email just isn't necessarily the center of the electronic
communications world the way that it used to be.

In a desktop world, I'd rather see some way that cron errors can be viewed
by a local account with appropriate permissions, combined with some sort
of notification scheme that's integral to the desktop rather than based on
the assumption that everyone reads mail.

(In a server world, of course, email continues to be a good mechanism for
reporting.)