Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 04:02:09PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > End-user systems (desktops, laptops) typically handle mail via one
> > or more smarthosts elsewhere, driven by MUAs that know how to talk
> > SMTP.

> While this definitely is the current state, it's not optimal. It would
> be ideal to have an MTA like esmtp or similar,[1] which was easily
> configured and could then be used by all things that need to send
> outgoing mail without configuring them directly. [Possibly with
> unified user configuration in .config/mail or similar which overrode
> the system configuration and could be written and read by any of the
> existing MUAs we have.]

> Instead of band-aiding over this problem, lets actually fix it.

Hear, hear.  "How do I deliver mail?" is a per-system setting, not a
per-application setting, and the move towards having MUAs talking SMTP
directly to send mail is a flawed model picked up on the Linux desktop from
certain other OSes.  The right solution here is to fix the MTAs to be
configurable from the desktop, and fix the MUAs to use the MTA - *not* to
get rid of the MTA.