Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Josh Triplett wrote:
> End-user systems (desktops, laptops) typically handle mail via one
> or more smarthosts elsewhere, driven by MUAs that know how to talk

While this definitely is the current state, it's not optimal. It would
be ideal to have an MTA like esmtp or similar,[1] which was easily
configured and could then be used by all things that need to send
outgoing mail without configuring them directly. [Possibly with
unified user configuration in .config/mail or similar which overrode
the system configuration and could be written and read by any of the
existing MUAs we have.]

Instead of band-aiding over this problem, lets actually fix it.

Don Armstrong

1: I personally use nullmailer, but because it doesn't support
sendmail -bs or listening on localhost:25, it's probably not ideal as
a default.
We were at a chinese resturant.
He was yelling at the waitress because there was a typo in his fortune
 -- hugh http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000321.html