Re: DEP-5 for Upstream

> Btw. when is the next debian-policy release that should include DEP-5.. and
> therefore provide a good url for the VERSIONED_FORMAT_URL?

Dear Franz,

The final URL for DEP 5 is being decided in the following discussion:

  http://bugs.debian.org/640737

If nothing changes it will be http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

Debian Developers who think that this URL is good and consensual can second the
proposition in the bug, and review the other issues opened for the DEP in the
debian-policy package.  Getting reviews and seconds is one of the current
bottlenecks.

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=debian-policy;include=subject%3Acopyright-format

I think that for version 1.0, the syntax is very unlikely to change.  We
reached a consensus that was not challenged for monthes and we have stable
and tested parsers.  So in the end, if you use an unversionned URL,
it will be fine.

The URL chosen in #640737 will probably available by the next upload of the
Policy, but that upload is decided taking other factors than the DEP into
account, so I can not give a timeline, as I am not a maintainer of the Policy.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan