Re: More Vcs-Fields in debian/control?

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > No. Simply answer the question: Is this VCS used by derived distros,
> > too? If not, it's Debian only. Two examples: The git repository for
> > apt-mirror is used only for Debian (there's only the master branch). The
> > git repository for vlc is used for Debian and Ubuntu (master branch for
> > Debian sid, squeeze branch for Debian squeeze, ubuntu branch for Ubuntu
> > natty, maverick branch for Ubuntu maverick, and so on).
> And why would we care? We keep track of what we do. Anyone else may use
> it or leave it.

In an ideal world of mine, for any package I maintain I would have
all interesting repositories linked to: upstream, Debian packaging,
popular distribution X, Y, Z packaging etc.  This way I could easily
track the software life outside of upstream->Debian pipe so I could
improve "Debian" side by possibly rapidly reacting to bugs/fixes
introduced elsewhere and haven't reached upstream yet, but already
included in X, Y, Z.

So, altogether, the idea of having more than Debian + upstream VCS
fields is sound to me.  Approach/Implementation is being discussed
elsewhere in this thread.