Re: More Vcs-Fields in debian/control?

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:28:39PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > We (lindi, liw and me) had just a short discussion in #-devel, that it
> > would be nice to have some sort of Vcs-Upstream-* in debian/control, to
> > be able to get to upstreams vcs history if it is not imported in
> > debian's vcs (which is often the case when using svn-bp or git-bf with
> > import-orig). [background: lindi is doing some git-copyright checks and
> > it fails heavily if there is no upstream history as the debian
> > maintainer is asumed to be the copyright holder for everything]

> > My suggestion would even go further (attention, I have NO idea how
> > debian/control is parsed and how much work the following would be):
> > Let's make that Vcs-<Vendor> with <Vendor> (like in DEP3) Debian,
> > Upstream, Ubuntu, Whoever-else-uses-the-packaging.

> I like this idea.

> There should be a Vcs-Debian-* too and used in most cases. A package
> should use Vcs-Debian-* if the vcs is only used in Debian. A package
> could use Vcs-* if the vcs is used in derived distros too.

What do you mean, "only used in Debian"?  Do you expect Debian maintainers
to track whether or not downstreams have a separate VCS?

I don't think this is the right way to do it any more than we should rename
'Maintainer' to 'Maintainer-Debian'.  If downstreams diverge, it should be
up to them to kee the information in debian/control current.

Cheers,