Re: More Vcs-Fields in debian/control?

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:55:05PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 06.04.2011, 11:39 -0700 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:28:39PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > > There should be a Vcs-Debian-* too and used in most cases. A package
> > > should use Vcs-Debian-* if the vcs is only used in Debian. A package
> > > could use Vcs-* if the vcs is used in derived distros too.
> >
> > What do you mean, "only used in Debian"?  Do you expect Debian maintainers
> > to track whether or not downstreams have a separate VCS?
>
> No. Simply answer the question: Is this VCS used by derived distros,
> too? If not, it's Debian only. Two examples: The git repository for
> apt-mirror is used only for Debian (there's only the master branch). The
> git repository for vlc is used for Debian and Ubuntu (master branch for
> Debian sid, squeeze branch for Debian squeeze, ubuntu branch for Ubuntu
> natty, maverick branch for Ubuntu maverick, and so on).

And why would we care? We keep track of what we do. Anyone else may use
it or leave it. Let's please not invent another special case for Ubuntu
just because they're big or fancy[TM] at the moment. And no, I
definitely don't want VCS-derived-by-* for each and every derived distro
to make Ubuntu not so special-cased...

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de