Re: /run support for wheezy: final (I hope) call for testing

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> { find var/run/  ! -type d -print0; \
>   find var/lock/ ! -type d -print0; } | xargs -0r $_CHROOT_SH rm
>
> I'm afraid this will need fixing in util-vserver(?) though.  We can't
> work around this in initscripts postinst, I'm afraid, since it worked
> correctly, and this happened after the migration.

The proper fix would be to use bind mounts, or always use multiple tmpfs
(which is safer, anyway).

There could be many more examples of this sort of problem, including in
local admin scripts.  As a rule, it is not safe to go around replacing
system directories and replacing them with symlinks, for exactly this
reason: symlinks are anything but transparent.

Heck, bind mounts would already cause severe problems in many situations (cp
-x in backup scripts, etc), but fortunately /var/lock and /var/run are
already defined as ephemeral, and unlikely to cause problems because of
that.

  Henrique Holschuh