Static libraries in development packages

Currently section 8.3 in the policy specifies that "The static library
(libraryname.a) is usually provided in addition to the shared
version", i.e. it doesn't provides any guidelines if a development
package should or shouldn't provide a static library at all. Also it's
a question whenever packages do usually nowadays actually provide
static libraries at all.

As I've come to understanding, nowadays many libraries doesn't allow
trivial static linkage, and that it's generally not recommended to
link statically in packages.

Thus I think we should consider updating the policy to either specify
that a development package should provide a static library if
possible, or that it shouldn't provide unless there are reasonable
reasons for inclusions.

--
Carl Fürstenberg