/run support for wheezy: final (I hope) call for testing

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:32:51PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> >
> > > ]] Julien Cristau

> > > Incidentially, I just sent a mail proposing this as a release goal.
>
> I've filed a bug (#620191) against initscripts containing a proposed
> patch for this.

I've put a (hopefully final) version at

http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.3.dsc
http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.3.patch
http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/sysvinit_2.88dsf-13.3_amd64.changes
http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/run/sysvinit-utils_2.88dsf-13.3_amd64.deb

This has been tested on Linux (amd64, powerpc), kfreebsd (amd64),
hurd (i386) and linux vservers and lxc.

Changes since last time:
- usplash code removed (Michael Biebl)
- vserver environments should now upgrade correctly (autodetect and
  treat like chroots)
- hurd portability fixes (Samuel Thibault)
- add /lib/init/tmpfs.sh to source /etc/default/tmpfs and include
  defaults in case admin removes critical variables needed to start up;
  hide _MODE variables in tmpfs.sh so they aren't directly visible in
  /etc/default/tmpfs.  These are both to decrease the chance of an
  incautious sysadmin making their system unbootable.
- default.rcS defaults to separate mounts for /run/lock, /run/shm and
  /tmp (new installs only).  This is safe to do now we have limits in
  place, and will allow read-only root once the /run migration is done
- update docs

Testing would be appreciated on all platforms, so we can be sure everything
is working correctly.

Documentation about the transition is here:
http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory

Thanks again,
Roger

--