Re: network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

Le dimanche 03 avril 2011 à 21:32 +0400, Stanislav Maslovski a écrit :
> Analogously, when I see such "great" technical suggestions as
> replacing ifupdown on default installs with network-manager, I can't
> help thinking (and sometimes commenting) that if this trend continues,
> then at some point in future I may face a painful decision to abandon
> the distribution that I continuously used for more than a decade and
> to which I contributed.

May I suggest that you install a squeeze system with the desktop task,
with a simple DHCP network configuration? You will see that your network
is no longer managed by ifupdown. So we’re talking about something that
has partly already happened, and AFAICT the world hasn’t fallen apart.

So far your only contribution to the discussion has been “If this
happens, I will use another distribution.” Fine. But could you explain
why we would care? I should probably remind you that Debian is, at
first, a do-o-cracy, so if you’re not interested into fixing things
yourself or at least giving constructive criticism, please let other
people dream of other technical solutions that they might actually end
up improving the state of our network stack (which is, in case you
haven’t noticed, absolutely disastrous).

--
 .''`.
: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know